He came and picked me up. I was feeling overwhelmed and we both knew it. He told me I looked beautiful and held my hand as we drove to the temple and then again after we were both changed and waiting in a small room by ourselves. Our ceremony was lovely and just like that, we were married.
I knew that the weather was supposed to be bad that day; a storm was supposed to blow in later that evening. No big deal though, right? Right? RIGHT?
We finished up taking pictures shortly after 3pm. Our cheeks were sore from smiling and I was excited to get out of the cold and have a few hours to relax before the reception. As we headed back inside to change, Erin pulled me aside. She informed me of the incoming storm -- Snowmageddon, she called it. It was predicted to be so bad that BYU had closed its campus to give all the students a headstart out of Provo to wherever they were traveling for Thanksgiving. Did I mention that our reception was planned for the Skyroom AT BYU?
"If you reeeeeeally want to, they'll keep it open for you, but we can just reschedule for another weekend and you guys can leave for your honeymoon right now!"
Nothing like that kind of news to get you riled up for your honeymoon.
Well, I did what any other girl would do: I cried. I remember standing in the dressing room in the temple, Erin and my mom working as quickly as possible to unbutton the 30+ buttons running down the back of my dress, sobbing hysterically. Is this real? Is this real? Is this real?
I didn't want to be that girl. I wanted to be the girl who has everything go wrong and just shrugs it off. "I was so happy and in love, nothing could ruin my day." That's what those girls say.
Sky and I took our first drive as a married couple in (mostly) silence. We were supposed to be deciding what to do, but I was still having a hard time pulling myself together. He held my hand, being his usual patient self. We pulled up to my parents' house and sat in the driveway, finally talking through our options. We could either have the reception that night, with the risk of having no one show up as well as the risk of not making it up to Sundance for our honeymoon OR we could leave for Sundance right away and postpone the reception for another night. I'm not sure how long we discussed, but we eventually decided to move forward with the reception that night -- now less than 2 hours away.
I know it was incredibly selfish, but at that point I really needed just an hour of alone time. Plus I looked like hell and needed to clean up. So yes, essentially Sky dropped me off at my parents' house right after we got married. Nice.
No comments:
Post a Comment