Well, turns out there were a few things I could wait for. Like the springtime. And being 21.
We had many discussions on timing over the next week or so. He wanted November; I wanted April/May. He didn't understand why I wanted to wait so long and I didn't understand why he wanted to rush. I was feeling a lot of pressure from his side to get married over Thanksgiving break, so I did a very selfish thing: I booked a trip to visit my sister in Atlanta for Thanksgiving. To say the least, we compromised on January and started designing the ring.
I think most newly engaged couples have the conversation that starts with, "Why don't we just elope next week?" or at least, "Why don't we move the date up a month or two?" For most, that conversation is just speculative and fun. For us, it was emotional and draining. I had realized that I didn't want to wait for January. But it was already mid-September! Well, we talked and I cried a lot and eventually we decided that November was best for us.
I was terrified to tell my parents that night, and probably for good reason. My mom was so shocked and ticked all at the same time that she said MAYBE 5 words. My dad was extremely supportive! The first thing my mom said to me the next morning was, "Please don't tell me something like that 5 minutes before I'm planning to go to sleep ever again." (Mom likes her sleep). I'm proud to say, though, that from that morning on, my mom was easily the most helpful, non-dramatic, awesome wedding planner ever. Here she is helping me pick out a wedding dress:
No comments:
Post a Comment