2.10.2009

Birds, birds, and you guessed it... more birds





I registered for BIO 100 this semester expecting to learn about chromosomes, mitosis and other sorts of boring stuff. Boy, was I wrong. When I went to buy my textbooks I was sure there was a mistake. Why on earth would I have to buy 3 books about North American birds? This must surely be a joke. Oh no. No joke. My biology class is all about birds. Birds, birds, birds. We talk about the reproductive tracts of birds, we pass around dead birds on napkins, people go to the front of the class and make bird noises to get extra credit and we discuss the purposes of dead feathers. We are required to see 100 different species of North American birds by the end of the semester. We don't have to come to class on Friday because our berserk(to say the least) professor wants us "out with the birds."
So, I'll be honest, it's rather entertaining. I'd actually go so far to say that I maybe even enjoy it a little bit. My cousin is in the class with me and so we study for our bird and duck identification quizzes and go out to look for birds together. This past Saturday we headed up to the Tracy Aviary (which put us at nearly 85 different species--just to let you know how on top of things we are). I was so proud of us because we could identify tons of birds and ducks! Canvasbacks! Merganzers! Northern Shovelers! Red tailed hawks! Anyway, I've included some pictures from our adventure.

Oh, and here are some things that my professor has said in class that I found rather, um, unusual:
"The reason why old men don't have a butt is because they've scratched it all away."
"You want a boy to look at you? Wear a silk skirt."
"If you're a bear and you get into the backseat, you'll get pregnant for sure."
"Never give a girl any number of roses besides 1 or 12."
"Sperm will not ask for directions!"
"If your 16 year old daughter comes in pregnant, at least she's reducing her chances of getting ovarian cancer."

Yes indeed. And you know the best part of my bird class? I can't sell my textbooks back to the bookstore at the end of the semester. Hoorah.

2 comments:

Kar said...

Had his teenage daughter recently announced she's pregnant or something?

Sally said...

1. It is still bugging me that we couldn't identify that bird...why did you have to put the picture up Kate?
2. Birds are toothless wonders.
3. So glad we're doing this together.