7.27.2015

Why I'm still nursing my 18-month-old at 36 weeks pregnant

Right after I found out I was pregnant and before I had completely made up my mind to do a home birth, I went and saw the group of midwives who had delivered Jude in the hospital. Jude had recently turned 1, and at some point during the visit, the subject of nursing came up. I told the midwife that I hoped to nurse Jude through the pregnancy, to which she responded that I needed to wean him by the time I was 20 weeks. It may sound extreme, but that advice was what made me decide to commit to a home birth as well as commit to nursing through pregnancy and eventually attempt tandem nursing.

You're probably thinking I'm crazy for completely disregarding a medical professional's advice. BUT IT WAS THE WORST ADVICE EVER! Not only is nursing through a pregnancy and beyond completely safe for me, but extended nursing is so beneficial for both mom and child. It doesn't take much more than a quick google search (I'm not saying you should believe everything you read on the internets, but you can probably believe articles published in medical journals) to find that out. Anyway, aside from the health/social/emotional benefits, which are pretty astounding, here is why I'm really not giving up nursing my 18-month-old at 36 weeks pregnant:

We're not ready!!

Nursing is like the oldest trick in the book when it comes to mothering. It's amazing how easily it can calm a toddler tantrum and how well it can ease your overtired little one into sleep. It's my best tool; why would I give it up?

Honestly, though, nursing while pregnant is hard. I've been really tired. It hurts. I've lost the majority of my milk supply. My belly gets in the way. It brings on contractions. But it's also the only time Jude will sit still and let me hold him. And don't even get me started on when he reaches up to touch my cheek (let's forget about the times he tries to pick my nose. It's not all perfect, people.) and pulls off to tell me, "HI!" We start and end every day on a really positive note, and I like that.

So while nursing through pregnancy isn't for everyone, it's working for us. That's enough for now. I'm out.

1 comment:

TrueBliss said...

You go girl! Nursing during pregnancy really is hard!