Sometimes I get a little carried away when I teach piano. I always try to begin the lesson sitting down, but it never lasts very long. I spend most of my time hovering over my student and tapping a rhythm on something. Creepy, I know. But today I took it to a whole new level. One of my 11-year-old boys was playing Beauty and the Beast and I wasn't quite satisfied with it. This conversation took place:
"Have you ever seen Beauty and the Beast?"
"No."
"What! You have to watch it. This week. That's your assignment."
"Ugh...."
"Well, you're just not playing it with quite the right mood. I need you to watch it so that you can understand."
"Uh..."
"You see, this song is playing when Beauty and the Beast are having a really romantic evening. She's in a beautiful dress and he's all tidied up. There's just a lot of love in the air. You've got to play this song like that."
"Hm."
"Play it like you're serenading a girl that you have a crush on. You need to play with feeling. I need to be able to feel the love."
"Uh."
"Uh."
"Awkward...."
"Yeah, sorry. How about you play for me your next song?"
1 comment:
haha Katie, I think you are neat. who was the student?
Post a Comment