6.14.2009

Excuse me?

I've never thought that I had a nice singing voice (even though I often burst into song and then announce to my parents that I think I could make it big as a singer. yeah, kidding.), but I'm always happy to sing in a choir or in church, etc. I usually at least attempt to sing alto and can generally make it through the hymns without too many problems -- but I never sing super loud, just in case. Anyway, you can imagine how confused I was when an older woman turned around after Relief Society today and asked if I always sang alto. "Uh, yeah, I guess I do..." "Oh, you are such an excellent singer! I loved hearing that! I enjoyed every second of it! You are so talented!"

Um, excuse me?


I felt very similar to the time when I got a letter from the BYU English Department my senior year telling me I had won a writing contest (I had been required to enter it and lacked a lot of confidence in my writing) and that they needed my social security number so that they could send me money. I remember bursting into laughter. I wanted to burst into laughter today too, but I didn't think it would be all that appropriate for church...

2 comments:

Breanna said...

I find it funny that you never thought you were a good singer-- I relied on you all last year to make sure I was on with my alto!

Katie said...

haha what?! I relied on YOU all last year.