2.01.2009

A Real Man

My dad once told me that he hopes that I'll be smart enough to marry a real man. I'm not sure what provoked this statement. I don't know if I should be offended--maybe he's worried that I'm planning on marrying a wuss or something. But I realized that my definition of a "real man" differs greatly from my dad's. What my dad meant was that he hopes I'll provide him with The Ultimate Outdoorsman for a son-in-law. He wants me to marry a hunter/fisher/camper/nature appreciator. His idea of the perfect husband is someone who will buy me a fishing license for my birthday and take me on a vacation to the High Uintas.

I'll be honest... I'm just not interested in that. I'm a girly girl. Maybe I'm even high maintenance. I do not enjoy tents or sleeping bags. I like to be clean and look better than just "good enough for the fish." I think there are much better things to spend money on besides camo outfits and top quality fly fishing rods. I like vacations to the beach and Disneyland.

So what is a "real man" to me? I'm still figuring that out. But lets just say that it has nothing to do with how big of an elk he's killed. Sorry Papa.

No comments: