Overall, Girls Camp was pretty terrible. Having said that, I will also admit that some of my favorite memories were made there.
Year 1: It took me about 19 hours to realize that Girls Camp was not what everyone made it out to be. That's about all I remember. Oh wait, we went snipe hunting and I learned that toothpaste burns your cheeks. I wouldn't recommend it.
Year 2: I don't remember much about this year. I think they made us paint rocks for an activity.
Year 3: This is the year that things started looking better. First off, it snowed. Many great things resulted from this: 1)Waterfront was canceled, 2)The hike was canceled, 3)I got to sleep in until 1pm one day, and 4)I used the freezing cold as an excuse to not change my clothes for 4 days.
The best part of this year, however, was the Miss Mia Shalom Pageant. Of course I entered. For evening wear I wore camouflage and a coon skin hat. For my talent I dressed up as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and danced as Megan sang "Kung Fu Fighting." Surprisingly, I didn't win. Megan did. She gave a super sycophantish answer during the interview section -- something about wanting to be a bagger at the grocery store because she loved helping people. You just can't compete with that.
Year 4: Soccer camp happened to fall on the same week. I was thrilled.
Year 5: We caused a lot of havoc. It was a blast. The leaders hated us. Goldfish and mice were put in the B.I.F.F.Y.s (Bathroom In a Forest For You), canoes were "accidentally" flipped and another ward's huge and intricately pieced-together lighthouse was broken in the middle of the night in an attempt to move it to the dock on the lake. I wasn't actually a part of the lighthouse incident, but even I felt terrible when our sweet YW President just shook her head and said, "I'm very disappointed, girls."

Anyway, I also brought my turquoise unitard to camp and when I got such great responses to it inside the cabin, I decided to take a stroll in it around the campsite. I was a little horrified to walk out and see the Stake YW President sitting with the leaders from my ward. Yeah...
Year 6: This was a good year to end on. We just hung out in the cabin and talked about boys all day. We came out to eat. Sometimes. This picture is from that year. Don't we look like little rays of sunshine? I know. Coral's shoes are my favorite.
Meg and I offered to go up last summer for a couple of days and do a fireside or something. The leaders didn't accept our offering. I have no idea why.
2 comments:
I never even thought the word biffy might actually stand for something.
I loved this post. I hated girls camp although for some reason I have some very fond memories from there. I also love the pic of you in the green spandex body suit thing from Idaho:)
Post a Comment